Monday, May 9, 2011

A trip to Dubai!

Egypt got ruled out as a stopping point due to the tensions that continue to mount within the country so we took a sometime to figure out what we should put in its place.  We came to the conclusion that we would visit some dear friends who had recently moved the Dubai.  I am glad we did.
I think Dubai itself is an interesting place.  From what we have read the city is about 80% expats and 20% Emirates.  It’s a complicated blend where the west meets the east.  But while you might envision a blending of the cultures, I would argue, based on the impressions of my short visit, there is a clear divide.  Here is why:
-          There are laws and rules that apply only to expats
-          There is a clear area where the expats live, which is mostly in the massive apartment buildings.
-          When walking out and about you rarely will see the locals mixed with a table of expats. I have to say that the few instances that we did see people interacting it made me smile. I truly believe that sharing and education builds bridges of understanding between people.
My impression is that the city is still developing a culture of its own as it tries to juggle the complexities of diversity (cultural, religious, economic).  A few things you have to able to stomach:
-    Sometimes not being addressed especially if you are a women (this was a bit hard for me especially knowing that there is so much work to be done in these areas for women rights)
-    Not kissing or touching your husband/wife (while you can legally hold hands if your are married we didn’t risk the chance of getting thrown in jail)
-    Having covered shoulders and legs, especially in the Old City (to me this was no big deal rather I find it to be respectful)
Still our short visit has defiantly left a desire in me to see more of the UAE and more of the Middle East which hopefully we will be able to do one day.




No comments:

Post a Comment