Sunday, May 15, 2011

Things that make you go hmmm - resort rules on Phu Quoc


Upon arrival at our resort I thought I would take a look at the hotel info. I stumbled upon the "resort regulations", and some of them are pretty interesting.  For your reading pleasure:

"Don't bring weapon, in flammable or explosive substances, or narcotic into the room. Pets or food are not welcome in the resort and also in room" (the fact that there is a rule about taking explosives into your room gave me pause while I sat wondering who may be in the room next to me)

"Taking street-walkers to the room, having gamble and using narcotic are prohibited in the Resort" (although during our stay we didn't see any encounter that looked like a John picking up a street walker it is a major problem all over Vietnam.  Just one walk through the backpacker district in Ho Chi Minh will show you that.  After a while you start to see some very suspect characters eyeing everything that crosses their path)

"You cannot change room by yourself. Any changes of rooms must be agreed by the receptionist". (I found this particularly interesting as I was wondering to what extent people are "changing" the rooms. Not to mention some of the furniture is bolted to the floor.)

"Please receive your visitors at the lounge. In case of meeting the guest in your own room, you must be agreed by receptionist and it must be ended before 10:00 PM" (When I read this rule I couldn't help but wonder what the conversation would be like especially for a non Vietnamese speaking person and a receptionist that doesn’t speak anything but their native language.  I would love to see the hand gesture conversation for this)

Another noteworthy rule that you will find throughout Vietnam, you are not allowed stay with a Vietnamese person if you are a foreigner unless you are married.


I think that all hotels should consider adding this rule, "no hotel construction work or repairs should begin before 8 am". Apparently, things get started super early in Vietnam.  Twice we have heard hotel work being done as early as 6 am. Waking up to loud banging sounds isn't exactly pleasant.  I guess the reviews I read for a variety of hotels on tripadvisor where indeed true - just be prepared for it no matter where you go in Vietnam.

1 comment:

  1. OMG girl! Those sound like regulations from the hood! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete